Get your home ready to sell…
How to make your house a “Perfect 10”
Today’s homebuyers are busy people, who are rarely interested in taking on major repairs or improvements upon moving in with help from a Removals Service. So you’re getting your house ready to sell, the first thing you need to do is start looking at in not as the home you’ve come to love, but as a product that’s about to enter a highly competitive market.
To help make sure your house is a perfect “10” when the “for sale” sign goes up, here are a number of simple things you can do to ensure your house looks fresh, clean and well maintained:
- If you need to make improvements, do the work before your home goes on the market. Potential buyers aren’t interested in hearing about your good intentions to repair any defects before the transfer of ownership takes place
- Check your house’s curb appeal. This is where buyers make their first impressions, so make sure the impression they get is a good one. Remove any clutter in your yard, repair cracked or uneven driveways and walkways, tend to your lawn and flower beds, and ensure your windows, walls and doors are clean and freshly painted.
- Check the general condition of your roof, chimney and exterior walls, to see if any repairs or replacements are required.
- Inside, greet homebuyers with a clean, clutter-free and well-lit interior, preferably with a fresh coat of paint on the walls and trim.
- Eliminate any unpleasant odours, make sure all lights work and ensure that doors and windows open and shut properly.
- In the living and family rooms, bedrooms and den, keep furniture and family memorabilia to a minimum, and ensure that there is an easy flow of traffic through each room.
- In kitchen and bathrooms, clean all appliances, sinks, tubs, and toilets; repair any leaks or drips, and clean cupboard handles.
- Make sure the foundation and basement are structurally sound, and free of cracks or water seepage.
- In the garage, get rid of any broken, useless or discarded items, and use cleaning solutions to remove any oil stains from the floor.
- Finally, if you have an agent, leave when the home is being shown! This will help prospective buyers to imagine the house as their new home – not yours.